Saturday, November 16, 2013

Gratitude - Day 16

To say that this day began as planned would be a bit too generous.  After nights of a hotel bed, I'm beyond ready to get home to my own ... Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the downtown Marriott.  But there's no place like home ...even if I am in Kansas.  I decide to walk a few blocks down to my morning comfort at a Starbucks that I've discovered.  It doesn't open till 8 .... Really ? No problem, it's still the United States and of course there's another one 2 blocks away ... With a sign this morning that says "cash only" ... Really?  Back to the marriott and their wonderful, "why would you go to Starbucks when you could go here" coffee bar.  So it's not that bad until 2000... Ok maybe 200, no really 2 dozen teenagers decend on a youth leader who has placed a box of " breakfast" on a table right next to me and I find myself in a reinactment of the plague of locusts.... Really ?
So I do the only thing I can do... I move. And this morning I'm writing and reflecting on gratitude ... Really?  No really, I am, grateful I mean.  I am grateful, even for all of the unexpected twists and turns of a morning so carefully crafted in my head so as to be fail proof ...except that it's not, and that's a good thing.  If I've learned one thing profitable in all of these years of pastoral artistry it's that I have no business relying on my own plans.  They are too small, they are too confining, and quite honestly they are cosmically boring.  I'm grateful to be reminded of that this morning ... And it's only 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment