Thursday, November 7, 2013

Gratitude - Day 7

Todays post is provided by Josh Rhone.  Josh is a husband, father, pastor, and wearer of many hats. He resides and ministers in Mount Union, PA. Josh enjoys reading theology, running and roasting (and drinking) coffee. He blogs occasionally at JoshuaRhone [dot] com and has recently authored a children’s book (Who Cares?) with his daughter.
 
 
 
 
The beach has long been one of my favorite places. As a kid I would go there with my parents and siblings. At times we would be accompanied by my grandparents on my mother’s side or my uncle and his family. As a teenager, a friend would accompany me so that I would have someone my age to pal around with. In 2004, my wife, Crystal, and I made our first trip to the beach. It was our honeymoon. Two years ago, we visited a beach on the West Coast and spent a few days relaxing with friends––Dan and Joanne––that I met  while in seminary. Our (almost) yearly trips to the beach now include a whole new cast of characters: my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Maddie and Quinton (our children), and soon our yet-unborn nephew.

While I could wax on for hours (and pages) about our trips, the stories, the food, and the fun that we’ve had, I won’t. Instead, I’ll jump straightaway to the picture and why I’ve included it.

The picture represents one of my favorite places. But, to me, this picture speaks of something much more significant. In the picture are three of the people who I count as my greatest blessings in life. Crystal is an agape wife––a woman of great love, who is a model for what it means to love with no-strings-attached. She puts up with my erratic schedule and the long hours that I often work. She has stood beside me and carried much of the load as I’ve completed graduate school and have jumped headlong into a post-graduate research program. She’s graceful in her parenting and reminds me (daily) that I have a lot of room to grow in that area. Quinton and Maddie exude passion. Passion for life and an inexplicable sensitivity to others. They serve as ever-present reminders of how thoroughly adult I’ve become and how very much I need to recapture the loud and courageous beauty of childlike faith. They mean so much to me.

But as I look at that beach, littered with footprints, I’m reminded of the many others who have been a part of my life. My parents, who have been there since day one, and have taught me so much about life, faith, marriage and ministry. There are my brother and sister who, despite the fights and arguments of our childhood, have become dear friends and confidants. My grandparents who did what every good grandparent should do and spoiled usrotten. Each footprint represents a friend, Sunday School teacher, pastor, professor, congregation member, college roommate––someone whose life has intersected with my own and has in some way, shape or form affected me and left a mark. Some of those interactions have been more impactful, leaving a deeper, more recognizable mark; but each has had value and significance.

Today, I thank God, for those whose lives and stories have intersected with my own. I thank Him for the many things that I’ve learned and the way that those relationships have shaped, defined, and refined who I am (and who I am becoming). I am grateful for each person and I pray that today you can look at your life and join me in expressing gratitude to God for those who have littered your life with their footprints.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment