Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Embracing the journey

In Genesis we can discover an interchange between God and Abraham where God indicates his desire for Abraham to pick up everything and move to "a land that I will show you".  I've come to discover that this is Gods way of simply getting us to put one foot in front of another and begin to move.  Now I'm a "map" person.  By that I mean I have this odd habit, gift, skill, peculiarity ... however you might like to term it ... of reading maps, visualizing the journey, and then, having been given a very reliable internal compass, setting out on the journey, rarely to look at the map again.  Nine times out of ten I can make it to the destination.  The other one I'll attribute to the male inability to ask for directions.  All this to say, I'd like to know ahead of time what I'm getting in to and where I'm headed before I set out.  So God and I continue to struggle for control in this ... or should I say that I continue to struggle.  I'm fairly certain that God is content that he has me pretty much where he wants me.  To keep myself from going completely crazy over the years I will settle for just making myself available ... simply saying "yes" to Him when he says crazy unsettling things like go "to a land I will show you".  Once again I find myself simply trying to continue to move towards the place that I am confident He will show us as our "best" place to gather on Sunday evenings to share dinner, stories, scripture, community, hope, prayers, and the Jesus who draws us all together around a common table.  As we began to pray about where this might be, my "assumption" (why I assumed I have no idea) was that we would find the new place before leaving the old place.  What was I thinking?  We prayed specifically two weeks ago for timing and the next morning I learned that we had just enjoyed our last time together in the old space.  "Go (move) to a land (space) I will show you"  The operative idea for this, I am reminded again, is to "go".  We need to move for Him to show us where.  As much as I can tend to be impatient, to charge ahead ... I am pretty sure that this particular journey is better accomplished at a walking pace, along with space to stop, listen, and discover.  So this week continues the journey and the beauty of it is that we get to experience this journey together in community ... just as we should our spiritual journeys.  Walk with us won't you.

No comments:

Post a Comment